Often times, January is a month for goal setting for business, families and individuals. What is often off target when setting goals, is actually writing them down, and being specific with the goal.
Here are some examples.
Goal #1: Increase sales by 10%
The Proper Goal: Increase sales by 10% by doing the following:
- We will contact each and every client to provide excellent service so we maintain our current client base and seek ways to strengthen our relationship.
- We will make x number of new contacts to potential clients each week and keep track in our CRM (Client Relationship Management)
- Each month we will check our YoY objective on sales, and make adjustments as necessary moving forward towards our goal being transparent and honest in the process
Goal #2: I want to drop 15 pounds this year.
The Proper Goal: I will drop 15 pounds in 2014 by doing the following
- I will work out 30 min on each Tuesday, Thursday & Saturday by doing some form of Cardio- Swim, Walk, Run or Ride
- Each month I will increase the duration and intensity of my workout
- I will go to bed 30 min. earlier and read from my book rather than staying up late and watching tv.
- I will stop drinking my afternoon latte/coffee
- I will add a salad to my dinner each night and skip dessert during the work week
- I will check my weight at the end of each month to keep track and to stay motivated
Goal #3: I want to have better grades this year.
The Proper Goal: I will increase my GPA to 3.5+ this academic year by
- Each Sunday I will spend 30 min on managing my weekly schedule that will provide a proper balance of school/work/family & friends/fitness/homework
- I will seek assistance from teachers on subject matter I do not fully understand
- I will finish my required assignments one day early to lower my stress level and give me time to reflect and make any last min. changes.
I believe Goals are always totally achievable; Retirement, Education and other family oriented goals can incorporate the same process, if you would like to learn more about some of these goals specific to your family give us a call so we can have a clear discussion on what you would like to achieve and our pathway we can guide you on.
Thank you for reading, and all the best to a successful 2014!
Craig Brown, CRPC ®
Financial Planning offered through LPL Financial.
The opinions voiced in this material are for general information only and are not intended to provide specific advice or recommendations for any individual.